Free School Meals
Free School Meals - Are you Eligible?
Did you know … just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money?
Register now to make sure we don't miss out.
The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a 'Pupil Premium'.
For every child registered, school gets extra money.
We intend to spend this money on additional staff to teach your children, subsidise school trips and extra curricular activities.
Please register as soon as possible to make sure your child and others in their class don't miss out.
How does it work?
- First, check if you qualify - it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list below.
- Registering is really quick and easy - if you think you qualify, you can register online at https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Benefit-Grants/Free-school-meals.aspx or contact the Benefits Team on 01942 828644 who will help you to register.
- If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that's great - they will get the free meal (saving you more that £350 a year), and the school gets extra money too.
- If you don't want your child to have free school meals they can continue to bring a packed lunch to school - as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets the extra money.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Do you qualify?
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
From September 2014, the Government made it possible for every child in Reception Class, Year 1 and Year 2 to have a free lunch.
This can save you almost £400 for each child at our school BUT to claim a free meal for your child you must tell us that they want a school dinner.
Pupil Premium [This is different from the above]
If you receive certain benefits or have a household income below the government’s threshold it is really important that you register your entitlement with the local authority https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Benefit-Grants/Free-school-meals.aspx on 01942 828644 for ANY child in school INCLUDING children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
If you register your entitlement your child [in any year group] will get a free school meal and school will get a grant too. So it’s very important for you and us.
Come and talk to us if you're not sure.